Chicken with Tomato Paste and a Dash of Those Spices Stuffs Coupled with Potato Thinga-Ma-Jiggy

|
Contrary to popular belief, I am happy. I have never been happier. Living together with my wife, even with lack of fund and everything else does not matter because what matter is being there every step of the way with her.

Haha takde orang pikir camtu pun, saja jer continuing my emo blogging streak.

So anyway, I am happy. Happy to be living the life I have always wanted, independent and making it my on my own - with my wife of course. We may be young, but I do believe we are resolute and hardworking people. You know what hardworking people deserves? They deserve a good life.

Yesterday, me and my wife fasted. The extra 6 days after Ramadhan fast. It's a recommended practise in Islam. The day went as usual, me going to work and my wife wife went to her's. Then after working hours she picked me up and we went straight home.

Here's the gist of the story. My wife was tired. I mean really donwright, cannot move, just need to sleep, tired. So what do we eat for berbuka? Jeng jeng jeng!! Wan to the rescue. Haha did nothing much except that I cooked.

It's not like it's the first time I cook. If you've read my wife's blog, she will tell you that I've cooked before. But usually it bears fruit with her guidance. This time, I'm all alone. It's not like I cooked a simple hot dog, burger, scrambled egg or anything. This time it's real food! Haha..

Okay, I had a look at a cook book that we have. But only to see how things are done. The recipes are all mine. I cooked chicken with tomato paste and a dash of those spices stuffs coupled with potato thingy-ma-jiggy. It came out, Chicken Tangine (well at least it's supposed to be that but due to lack of ingredients available).

This is what this website describe Chicken Tangine as : "One of the most sensual cuisines in the world, Moroccan food has spices and flavors that appeal to the smell, sight and taste. Chicken Tangine is made with rich chicken thigh meat, and spiced with garlic, ginger, coriander and cumin. Dried apricots, blanched almonds and pitted green olives, all found in the Mediterranean food basket, are added to enhance the flavor of the dish."


This is what it's supposed to look like. Mine was darker and thicker. I'd call it the Gothic version of Chicken Tangine. Plus I ate it with white rice.



Of course in my version, most of the ingredients were absent and I had to make up to it by adding tomato paste. I think because it is rich in taste, I believe that is what I'm supposed to taste if it is cooked properly anyway. Haha (comforting myself).

It tasted? I'd give it 7 out 10. It's quite good really. The rich taste of herbs and the tenderness of the chicken. However the tomato taste was quite strong and also the excessive input of sugar and salt at disturbing levels was something that I need to work on. But it was not that bad. I ate it heartily - honestly.

The thing about marriage is that, one must learn to be independent. When the going gets tough you get going. The extra added spice to mix is when one of you is pregnant. Okay, it's always going to be the wife laa kan. So when your wife gets pregnant, you have that added responsibility.

I'm not really accustomed to being that responsible. Sure I have a little sister, and I do take care of her. But it's different when it's you that this other person hangs on to. It's you that this other person depends on. No one else but you. If you don't pull through, she doesn't eat. If you fail, she lives in a rut as you do. So the pressure is always there when you live together, one relying on the other.

However, I do believe that with enough time and conviction anyone can do it. Hey, if a cat can live on its own with 5 kittens and no brain, any human being can too. Right? No? Different? Yeah I think so too.

Love you hon bun!


The Actual Recipe for Chicken Tangine:


-6 to 7 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, cut into 2-inch chunks
-2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-2 tablespoons minced gingerroot
-1 teaspoon ground coriander
-1 teaspoon ground cumin
-1 cup dry white wine
-2 cups chicken broth
-1 cup dried apricots
-1 cup whole blanched almonds
-1 cup pitted green olives
In small glass bowl, place chicken and add flour. Toss chicken to coat.

In large pot over high heat, heat olive oil. Place chicken in olive oil; brown on all sides.

Reduce heat to medium-low; add onion, garlic and ginger. Saute about 5 minutes.

Stir in coriander and cumin; saute until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add wine. Increase heat to high. Boil until wine has reduced by half. Stir in chicken broth, apricots, almonds and olives. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer for 45 minutes.

Serve over cous cous.


Makes 6 to 7 servings.

2 comments:

Faridatul Bariza Binti Md Nasir said...

Love you too honey bunny..thanks for cooking on the days i can't seem to lift my head of the pillow..hehe..your cooking is totally delicious..love it..too bad i was not that well that day to eat it all up..lucky me to have a great hubby like you..what did i tell you people..my hubby is really creative in the kitchen..hehe =)

wun said...

haha my wife likes to exaggerate on what i do...thanks hon for the undeserved compliments :)