I Miss Brooke!!

|
I just went through some of the stuffs at the back room (where we keep all of the boxes and what not), it was quite nostalgic.

There are some things in there that brought fond memories of the not too distant past. I.e. the university days.

Unlike high school, University days were very significant in my life. Not to say high school was boring or irrelevant, it was relevant. But University brought up a certain inner maturity (my outer maturity has always been intact..uhuk!) and also held important episodes of my life.

University was where I met my wife, I learned about life and being independent, I studied a course which gave me the opportunity to be where I am today - high school never did anything for me except that I had a blast living without a care in the world!

As I went through I saw a notebook which I used when I broke up with my then girlfriend (now my wife) to write songs and notes and everything else in between. It was my comfort book. Reading it now - with my wife, the intended subject of the book - it is really funny.

One thing I really miss though is my roommates. These are some of the things you would never have known about them:

Nik sleeps like a mermaid. Every morning when he wakes up he will have his blanket right over his face. If I'm at my compartment, when he wakes up he will walk to my compartment and make a light conversation - at the same time he would scratch his head profusely (I don't think he's itchy, it's just something he does). He really likes to eat lavishly. Sometimes it's not that he eats expensive food, he just likes to buy whatever the hell he feels like eating (some of us doesn't have the luxury of not caring where your money goes to in terms of food). Nik has this run down car - something which I will elaborate later. He says the most extraordinary things at the most unexpected times - "I can't wait for J.K Rowling's book!" (you had to be there).

Zarep is a man's man. He doesn't like it when man touches him. In fact he is the only person in that room whom I was afraid to tickle - at first (I like to tickle, something that I must look into, therapy or something). Zarep loves the ladies. He would entertain any female companion if that person is interested. He has been caught entertaining the disturbing gender as well (by disturbing I mean of same sex but confused). But, being quite the cold hearted man, he would also be blunt and direct when need be. He thinks and react very quickly to ridicule anyone - the fastest mouth of any man I've ever known.

Cip is Cip. He sleeps when he wants to and eats when he wants to. Sometimes emotional but most of the time happy. When he's gloomy, the whole world glooms with him. When he's happy, the whole world lighten up. He is a fan of the western culture but at the same time is very rooted to his own. An enigma. His authority in that room is great. One time Nik incurred his wrath and without even saying a single word, got Nik to buy him a pack of cigarette, fruit juice, kerang bakar and keropok - within the space of 30 minutes. One of his promise includes - "Bila dah abih Universiti ni talian kawan kita putus" (his actual words). Till now, we are still in contact.

When I went through that back room, I found a box of stuff. I asked my wife to look at it and she found that miniature Koala doll which hugs things. It used to be an ornament in my old car - WLP 4241. I miss Brooke (that was its name - I was in love with Sophia Bush when I got the car). It was the official car for the roomies and me - until my fourth year.

Our official car changed during my fourth year. Nik's rundown Kancil was the substitue. Damn that Kancil. One time when me, Cip and Zarep had the urge to eat Nasi Lemak Malinja, we borrowed that beast from Nik. Nik had another event to attend to so he could not follow. That beast broke down half way, made noises which would attract people within sight of the car and had me (the driver) smiling to strangers as if nothing's happening while my friends duck to avoid being sighted. Damn.

The fondest of memories in the University days is of my wife and me. To say that our relationship then was a rollercoaster is an understatement. It was a cordless bungee jumping experience (not logical and over exaggerated). We went from being friends, lovers, ex-lovers, engaged and married in the space of one and a half year. Now we have a child together!

It all started on one night in UIA. Aaaahh yesss the fairy tale began during the 06/07 convocation fiesta. The final night of the convest, I was feeling hungry. Since the cafes were all closed, and I left the library quite late, the only obvious solution is the convest hill. How I dreaded going there. I had never gone there before. So I made some calls and found a friend who was a willing partner.

Having got there I met some other friends and decided to join them. One of these other friends also had some other people waiting to join him. That 'other people' was in fact my wife. A meeting by chance, was in fact a meeting by fate. I saw her, was attracted and now I consider it as something of a love at first sight. Though probably not the same for her. But as it all worked well anyway, whether or not the feeling was mutual at that time, I feel that night was the best damn thing that could have happened to me. I didn't get to finish my meal that night (was actually too nervous to eat...haha!), got the chance to show her my good side (I sent her and Hazimah back as it was too late) and got the feeling that that night wasn't the end of our meeting.

University days are great. If I could go through it all over again I would. But I won't change a thing with regards to the past (not true - of course I would change some stuffs, it is only prudent to do so).

But again, I miss Brooke. My first car. My first love. My companion. Mine, all mine. No more...

4 comments:

Faridatul Bariza Binti Md Nasir said...

a'aaahh..those day..memories..i totally miss being a full time student..but then life is also great now..just go with the flow~

Anonymous said...

go with the flow~ huu...miss laa hon life kat sana...rilek jer..tido cukup, makan cukup, rilek cukup, main cukup..sume cukup...tapi sekarang ade sofeah! hee...best gak life..haha.

Anonymous said...

Dah dok serumah pon nk kena komen blog masing2 ker....hehehe... Damn! I miss Uni life so much! Sib baek ko jumper kitorg kn maser nk regist bilek harituh. klu tk dah miss chance to live with very cool people like us. HAHAHAH!!

-NIK THE ROOMATES!!-

wun said...

haha dok serumah la comment gak!

memang best jumpa 2 budak IRK-turns-out-to-be-BENL tu...hahaha.