I Want Me My Music

|

One thing I really miss right now is my passion for music.

It’s not that I don’t love music anymore, it’s just that I find myself less enthusiastic about finding the newest up and coming bands, buying CDs from my favorite music store and also updating myself on the latest news of my top 5 favorite bands (in fact I don’t do any of these things anymore).

A year ago I would have been standing in front of the CD stack in Music Centre Atria Damansara checking out new CDs to add to my collection. The raw sounding of The Script’s music would have attracted me no doubt and I would have downloaded the new Phantom Planet album - or even order it through the net if I have the money to buy.

Now I’m too lazy to do any of those mentioned above, and more.

I guess my enthusiasm stems from having nothing do back then and also having no responsibility and I had too much time to spend - now I have a family.

Though I do believe that having a family should not have stopped me from continuing my love for music, it just so happen, my enthusiasm now lies with creating a sound atmosphere for me and my wife. Music takes too much of my time and money which I can’t possibly share with my wife.

What saddens me though is that I listen to a lot of radios nowadays and having to listen to the same music again and again makes me miss my old passion for music.

During my university days (which was when I started crazing for alternative music) I would spend hundreds per month for CDs. I would spend hours per day just listening to music, singing along like crazy in my room (which I do not know to what extent would annoy my roommates) and exploring and searching for new bands to admire (and sometimes regret).

The last album I downloaded was Bloc Party’s (woohooo!) and also Interpol’s (weeehuuu!). Other than that I’ve lost touch. Sadder, is the fact that I have not listened those albums thoroughly yet. I can’t even name the 2 albums’ titles! Waaaaaa!

Here’s a little known fact about my passion for music. I’ve been listening to music since primary school. I remember liking Greenday and also The Offsprings (but regrettably I also had a slight fondness for 911 and ehem…BSB - very slight!! My God! So slight! If you blinked you’d miss it!) Ehem…moving on.

Then my dad also exposed me to some old school rock like Deep Purple, Eagles, The Beatles, White Snake, Scorpions, and some other bands also. He also liked Mariah Carey which I was also influenced (I can sing along to most of Mariah Carey’s hit songs…haha).

But my real passion for music started when I was 18, with a little band called….wait for it…believe it or not…here goes…All American Rejects! Haha. Not an influential band nor are they revolutionary, they are just a fun band to listen to at that time. We were flanked with a lot of Linkin Park, Korn, Limp Bizkit and the likes of Simple Plan and Good Charlotte for lighter sounds, so AAR is kind of a breath of fresh air (now there are tons of similar sounding American trad brick bands).

Well from then on I really like music. I've moved on to more alternative sounds like The Strokes and The Hives and explored those areas. So my interest varies from classic epic rock band like Led Zeppelin to modern epic rockers like Mars Volta and Sigur Ros. I am very fond of old classic rock and rollers like Buddy Holly, Elvis and Chuck Berry to new rockers like Interpol and The White Stripes. Also some smooth sounding Corrine Bailey Rae, Lene Marlin and James Morrison is good as well.

But that has all past and now I can only look forward to hearing some Rihanna and David Archiletta in the morning whilst I drive to work. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy some of the music I hear in the morning (I think Flo Rida is quite a good rapper and anything from Chris Brown is good to sing along).

Well, I leave you with my 5 favorite bands which I recommend:

1) Bloc Party

2) Interpol

3) Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

4) The Strokes

5) Arctic Monkeys

(Guns n' Roses, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Oasis and the likes are known to be great! No need to mention)

0 comments: