I Like Photography...But It's Expensive

|
I used to have a hobby. Photography. It's an expensive hobby and at that time when I was into it, I didn't have money to spare. I wasn't making money at all and didn't look to have any source of income.

Now that I do have an income, I find that my priority lies away from any hobby. Even though I am still interested in photography, I don't think it's worth the expenses.

But! I'm slowly getting into it again. The thing is, I don't have those fancy DSLRs and expensive cameras. I only have my Yashica. My faithful Yashica FX-3. Here's a little known fact about that particular camera, it was produced in 1979! Therefore it is a manual SLR that requires films.

Films my friends, are expensive. Buying it is one thing, developing it is another. It's expensive!

Furthermore, with SLRs, you don't get to see your product until it is done. Thus, if you don't have the correct lighting, you set the whole thing wrong, you get the shutter speed or the aperture wrong, then you're screwed.

If for example you go to an event with the camera in your hand, eager and excited to take a picture, and have raised your hopes up high in taking beautiful pictures, but mistakenly you set the whole thing wrong - then that's it. The whole event might well be captured in a dark, gloomy and under exposed still images. Sad.

Nonetheless, I am still quite excited to take pictures. I see it as something that I can be passionate about. It is something that would take me away from all the troubles of the past, present and future. Something that hides me from the monstrosity of recent global events. With pictures, the images are still. Every detail can be scrutinized and every inch of a single beautiful image can be appreciated.

I've recently taken new pictures of my wife, my daughter, events and sights. Another problem with films is that, the pictures have to be scanned and saved into the computer before I can actually upload it. Since I don't have a scanner I have to do it at my mum's. But, passion should be followed up with sacrifice and hardwork right?

Well, here are some of my older pictures (taken 2-3 years ago).




Some of my other pics can be viewed at http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunr/

I haven't updated it for quite awhile (same with my blogs...just no time no more!!). But I can assure newer pictures are available, just not scanned yet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi wun...
kinda nice with the scenary pix..
like it!
anyway,to grab a DSLR nowaday are not that expensive..
for Nikon D80 u'll get 1.5k only!
then,grab nikkor 50mm lens for your basic usage...plz2 and plz not to buy a DSLR with kit lens!
it is like hell to shoot with kit lens...hahaha...

wun said...

hei thanks!

yup planning on buying a DSLR soon, but don't really have money to buy one in cash...have to buy credit..thanks for the tips!

I'll try not to use kit lens..haha.

Anonymous said...

yea,for sure la can't buy a DSLR dgn cash..
hoho..sakit maa...
anyway,for your photography skill,u can also learn bout pshop to enhance ur pix..
u can change the pix from too vivid to normal tone colour..
have a try :)

wun said...

haha i actually do photoshop my pics but just to take away all the mess that my lens created and also the film's deficiencies..it's hard to get a good developed film with such an old camera..

i don't really want to change the image with photoshop ;p